Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Patch 1.3.367, just force your way into my heart, why don't yah?

Greetings Mechwarriors,

I used to be one of those guys, you know the type. The type of guy that would sometimes talk disparagingly about PGI from time to time. I thought of them something akin to that friend of yours that has owed you $50 for months. Yeah, we'll still hangout, but don't expect me to take your crap and don't expect me to not glare occasionally. When following the MWO forums or reading online reviews of the game, it's easy to feel like a lot of people are getting the same vibes. But, there's a way to let bygones be bygones.

I recently sat down and played some MWO with a friend of mine. We took turns dropping into PUGs and having fun. We each wound up only playing one match a piece, but it was enjoyable. I bring this up because my friend and I are both gamers and we both love strategy. This means that I spent a good twenty minutes explaining to him how all of the game mechanics work in MWO. The HUD, the upgrades, the modules, the camo and paint, GXP, EXP, 'Mech teirs, 'Mech variants, 'Mech loadouts, gameplay pace and strategy, the maps, Community Warfare, Factions, achievements, etc, etc, etc; the list goes on. In doing so, I realized what I was getting for a free-to-play (FTP) title. I must admit, I have taken a long hiatus from electronic gaming. I used to be a PC gamer playing whatever games my parents would let me spend my allowance on, but it's been at least 10 years since I have played PC games in any real kind of way. What I mean to say is, I'm not hip with PC gaming. But, I know a deal when I see one.

This latest patch brought changes to a lot of things that the MWO community has been badgering on about for at least a month now. I'm not sure twelve more Clan variants is what most people had in mind, but it's a good effort by PGI to give Clan pilots more variety. It has definitely been welcome to see that PGI is willing to listen to the community and make requested changes. It almost justifies the cost of purchasable content! Though, I must also say that it is now easier than ever to join with other members of your Faction and your Unit. The changes to Faction Grouping has enabled my Unit to really reach out to other Steiner Units and recruitable pilots. Go LMC!

Boss pewpew, brah

The biggest changes, however, came to Community Warfare. A new map? What?! The new CW map, Hellebore Springs, is loosely based off of the current public map, Canyon Network. I can honestly say that I am so glad that they picked that map. Canyon Network is probably my second favorite map in the game. With the continued release of new maps for CW, the experience will get more and more enriched, I tell you what. I'm not saying that I want to see a HPG Manifold style map in CW that lets players fight over a moon or large artificial satellite, but I totally am. Yes, I know this isn't Gundam.

Counter Attacking in CW is also a lot better than it used to be, in that it actually reflects reality. The defending team no longer miraculously fixes gates and turrets, but instead faces the revenge of the fallen's allies arriving all to late. This change needed to happen, regardless of the other CW updates.

So, thumbs up, PGI. Sure, two of 'em. This game might not be as trendy as a lot of other titles, but you handle it well enough. There is a ton of content and there is a lot of fun to be had with this title. I have more readily paid into this game than I would a "AAA" title (a? an? whatever). I've got to say though, I'm going be a little more appreciative of the pain that PGI brings on my wallet and social life. Thumbs? Still up.

Good luck and good hunting, pilots.

No comments:

Post a Comment