Thursday, February 19, 2015

The Wolverine Champion Mech. The WVR-7D.

Greetings Mechwarriors,

When I started playing this game, it took me a long time to find my niche. After many, many, painful hours of gameplay, it turns out that I'm a medium Mech pilot at heart. Honestly, that kind of worked out like I had originally hoped. There was some sort of, dare I say it, romanticism to being a medium pilot. Agile, resilient, and able to provide fast and effect fire support, that's a medium Mech. Of course, assault and heavy Mechs are appealing because of their shear firepower, but calling them quick is almost moronic. Yeah, that's right.

After trying and failing at piloting a Hunchback, I sold it for a Wolverine. I've had that Wolverine in my Mech bay for around six months and don't plan on selling it. I've had even more fun after outfitting it with a Gauss Rifle! But, as much as it seems like I could, I'm not going to once again talk about my beloved Wolverine. I am, however, going to talk about the Wolverine that I don't have! The Wolverine that no one has, but the one we deserve. This is especially true after the "Quirkening" that put down the, large pulse laser based, "Wubverine" once and for all.

I'm talking about the Wolverine Hero Mech that isn't available in MWO. The Wolverine is one of only a couple long-standing Mechs that don't have a Hero version. Hero versions usually: have special quirks, are only available for real money, have a custom camo pattern, and give a +30% C-Bill bonus to each match. "Why not the Wolverine?", I hear you ask, and I concur. But, what would such a Hero Mech look like? Of course, here's my wild jab at it.

There are only a few Wolverine variants that were produced and available around or before 3050, the current in-game year. This limits the options greatly, considering the total number of variants that would later be developed for this Mech; eight more in all. There are currently three variants of this Mech available in MWO. In my opinion, there are only two available variants for a Wolverine Hero Mech, the WVR-7D and WVR-7M. I'm only going to talk about a Wolverine Hero Mech based off of the WVR-7D. If you're more interested in the 7M, whenever I say "ultra auto-cannon/5", just think "ER large laser" and get over it.

The WVR-7D would come standard with a XL 275 engine, double heat sinks, Ferro-Fibrous armor, standard structure, and quirks to boot. The "real" 7D was equipped with Myomer Accelerator Signal Circuitry, an equipment that would allow a Mech to move at twice its standard walking speed! This equipment was best used sparingly though, as it could cause leg actuator failure. This equipment isn't featured in MWO, and I certainly don't think they should add it, but I think they should increase the maximum engine size of the WVR-7D to reflect that capability. Well, let's just look at what I think would be a stock loadout.


Now, that's a sexy Mech.

I'm not suggesting that the WVR-7D come with all the modules seen here, but that would be awesome. I am suggesting some pretty beefy UAC/5 quirks, though. How's about:

Additional Strucure (RA) +25
Torso Twist Rate (YAW) +25%
Energy Range +25%
Energy Heat Generation -12.5%
Missile Cooldown +20%
UAC/5 Cooldown +25%
UAC/5 Range +12.5%
UAC/5 Heat Generation -25%
C-Bill Bonus +5,000,000%

This thing would be a beast, for sure. I think PGI is scared of the possibilities. They fear the Wolverine. That's it, I'm sure. That's the only reason that I can think of as to why PGI wouldn't have come out with a Wolverine Hero Mech. I mean, heck, I'd still buy the thing if the "custom camo pattern" was a tasteful nude of Patrick Swayze and Lea Thompson. Don't picture it. Shameful passions aside, I am still hoping that PGI gets around to giving its players a Wolverine Hero. Alas, I can hope all I want, but I can never prove that I haven't thought waaaaaay too much about this.

Good luck and good hunting, pilots.




Sources:
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Wolverine_(BattleMech)
http://haveno.info/BT%20-%20TechManual.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment